LEAMINGTON — A carelessly discarded cigarette was all it took to cause $2.3-million fire at a fruit and vegetable farm’s storage facility at Leamington, in Essex County.
The July 14 fire broke out at Top Line Farms on Saturday evening, and wasn’t under control until about 1 a.m. Sunday, Leamington fire officials told the Windsor Star. An internal sprinkler system helped mitigate the damage, but significant damage was done to one corner of the building.
Firefighters from Kingsville, just west of Leamington, assisted in putting out the blaze. There were no injuries.