ST. ALBERT — Andre Hildbrand of Rosenhill Farm owns the best-managed herd in Eastern Ontario for the third year in a row.
In 2012, the St. Albert farm ranked sixth out of all Ontario dairy farms in the 2013 CanWest DHI (Dairy Herd Improvement) progress report. In 2013,, the farm jumped two spots to fourth, scoring 976 of a possible 1,000 points.
This year’s rankings put the farm at 964 points, eighth best in Ontario. The farm has finished first in Russell County four times and since 2000, has always ranked in the top five for the county.
Here are the top-ranked dairy farms for herd management by county in Eastern and East-Central Ontario, according to the 2014 CanWest DHI progress report. A perfect score is 1,000 points.
• Carleton County; Alexerin Dairy Inc., owned by Ron and Todd Nixon of Manotick: 934
• City of Kawartha Lakes; Englidale Farm, owned by Steve and Jim English of Lindsay: 854
• Dundas County; Tibben Farms, owned by Mike, Mark, and Ralph Tibben of Brinston: 881
• Durham Region; Elmden Farms Ltd. of Sunderland: 825
• Frontenac County; Groenway Farms Inc., owned by M & D Groenewegen of Harrowsmith: 853
• Glengarry County; Lochdale, owned by David MacMillan of Alexandria: 921
• Grenville County; Gerann Holsteins, owned by John & Dawn Wynands of Cardinal: 918
• Hastings County; Klayknoll, owned by Anthony and Peter Kooistra of Stirling: 888
• Lanark County; Sunol Farms, owned by Jason and Amanda O’Connell of Carleton Place: 825
• Leeds County; Gunnebrooke Farms Ltd., owned by John Gunnewiek of Elgin: 932
• Lennox-Addington County; Locust Dell, owned by Robert Grooms of Napanee: 874
• Northumberland County; Sunnybrooke, owned by Ronald Watson of Campbellford: 899
• Peterborough County; Embrdale Farm in Asphodel-Norwood: 869
• Prescott County; Ferme Mirella Inc., owned by Guy & Carol Levac of St-Bernardin: 934
• Prince Edward County; Prinzhaven Farms, owned by Philip and Selena Prinzen of Bloomfield: 869
• Renfrew County; Petermann Holsteins, owned by Nick & Steph Petermann of Pembroke: 842
• Russell County; Rosenhill Farm Inc., owned by Andre Hildbrand of St. Albert: 964
• Stormont County; Ferme Sabourin, owned by Gilles and Johanne Sabourin of Crysler: 829