BLOOMFIELD — Prinzhaven Farms in Prince Edward County once again had Ontario’s top breed class average (BCA) for both Holsteins and Jerseys.
CanWest DHI said the farm, run by Philip and Selena Prinzen at Bloomfield, had Ontario’s top BCA in 2017 with a score of 365.7. The farm was tops for Holsteins at 358, and for Jerseys at 410.7. This could be the first time in CanWest’s history that the same farm was tops for both in the same year. BCA measures milk, fat and protein.
Prinzhaven Farms was also tops for Holsteins in 2016, and was number one for Jerseys in four of the last five years (2017, 2015, 2014 and 2013).
Eastern Ontario was also home to the top BCA for Ayrshires and Milking Shorthorns. Creek Side Holsteins, owned by M & L Chisholm in Leeds County, was tops for Ayrshire with an average of 260.3, while Prinsville Dairy Farms Inc., owned by Bernard and David Prinzen in Prince Edward County, had the highest BCA average for Milking Shorthorns with 279.7.
Here are the top-ranked dairy farms for highest BCA average for each Eastern Ontario and East-Central Ontario.
• Carleton (county average: 240.7); Tim and Diane Groniger at Carlsbad Spring: 305.3
• Kawartha Lakes (average: 220.6): Keith, Sandra, Jeff and Nicole Thurston at Lindsay: 268.3
• Dundas (average: 236.9): Glen Haven Farms, owned by Tom MacGregor at Crysler: 303.7
• Durham (average: 218.5): Ruti Farms, owned by Werner and Nicolas Renggli at Seagrave: 293
• Frontenac (average: 211.5): Rustowil Farms, owned by William Moreland at Joyceville: 245
• Glengarry (average: 226.3): Kerrydale Farms Ltd., owned by Tom McDonald at Williamstown: 282
• Grenville (average: 221.5): Gerann Holsteins, owned by John and Dawn Wynands at Cardinal: 278.7
• Hastings (average: 231.1): Hollylane Jerseys, owned by Roger and Diane Jarrell Ray at Corbyville: 287.3
• Lanark (average: 222.4): Sunol Farms, owned by Jason and Amanda O’Connell at Carleton Place: 305.7
• Leeds (average: 230.5): Rockaberry Farm, owned by David, Lisa and Brian Berry at Seeleys Bay: 295.3
• Lennox and Addington (average: 231.7): Poplardell Holsteins, owned by B Caughey and M Walhout at Stella: 288.7
• Northumberland (average: 224): Sunnybrooke, owned by Ronald Watson at Campbellford: 298.3
• Peterborough (average: 216.3): Embrdale Farm owned by David, Cathy, Steven, Cameron, Brett, and Rebecca Stockdale of Norwood: 267.7
• Prescott (average BCA of 240): Ontario Inc. 1024248, owned by Andy Senn of St. Bernardin: 320
• Prince Edward (average 256.6): Prinzhaven Farms, owned by Philip & Selena Prinzen of Bloomfield: 365.7
• Renfrew (average: 222): Gouldhaven Farms, owned by Barry Gould at Foresters Falls: 289
• Russell (average: 245.4): Bertom Farm, owned by Fred & Tony Vanmunsteren at Sarsfield: 319.3
• Stormont (average: 230.8): Wielendale, owned by A & J Vanderwielen at Maxville: 267.7