DUBLIN — A Perth County Jersey dairy farm had the top breed class average in Western Ontario, according to the 2019 Ontario Progress Report from Lactanet, formerly known as CanWest DHI.
Townview Jersey owned by Paul and Erin Mitchell at Dublin had a BCA score of 332.3. BCA measures milk, fat and protein.
Ontario’s top BCA for Jerseys was Gubelmann Brown Swiss Ltd. at Walton with a score of 328.7, while the top Guernsey herd was Eby Manor Farm in Waterloo County. The top Western Ontario Holstein herd was Wrightway Farms in Peel Region with a score of 328.3, the second-highest Holstein BCA in the province.
Here are the top-ranked dairy farms for highest BCA average in the counties covered by Farmers Forum and according to the 2019 progress report.
• Brant County (average BCA of 228.8); Bergvale, owned by Frank Vandenberg at St. George: 299
• Bruce County (average BCA of 252.6); RG & G Farms Ltd., owned by Geoff and Sandra Farrell at Kincardine: 315.7
• Dufferin County (average BCA of 237.8); Swissbell, owned by Walter and Marlie Kaehli at Grand Valley: 280.7
• Elgin County (average BCA of 241.2); Silverridge Farms, owned by Charlie Dykxhoorn at Springfield: 315
• Essex-Kent County (average BCA of 219.3); Wridair Farms, owned by Roger and Sheryl Wright at Harrow: 244.3
• Grey County (average BCA of 238.2); Norconn Jerseys, owned by Elvin and Eileen Martin at Mount Forest: 309.7
• Huron County (BCA of 239.8); Gubelmann Brown Swiss Ltd., owned by Ernst Gubelmann at Walton: 328.7
• Lambton County (average BCA of 234.0); Stewardson Dairy Inc., owned by Jeff, Brenda, Dan, Nicole, Dylan and Carley Stewardson at Thedford: 305.0
• Middlesex County (BCA of 233.9); Stanton Bros Ltd., owned by Jim, Jeff and Greg Stanton at Ilderton: 298.7
• Norfolk County (average BCA of 234.1); Marbank Farms Ltd., owned by Wayne and Leonard Bootsma at Port Dover: 281.3
• Oxford County (average BCA of 246.8); Larenwood Farms Ltd., owned by Chris McLaren at Drumbo: 310.3
• Peel County (average BCA of 231.0); Wrightway Farms, owned by Keith Wright at Caledon East: 328.3
• Perth County (average BCA of 246.5); Townview Jerseys, owned by Paul and Erin Mitchell at Dublin: 332.3
• Simcoe County (average BCA of 233.3); Sprucetone Holsteins, owned by Doug Lloyd at Bradford: 292.3
• Waterloo County (average BCA of 250.9); Milky Wave, owned by the Schuurmans Family at Elmira: 316.3
• Wellington County (average BCA of 246.4); Spruce Hedge Jerseys, owned by Colin and Laura Martin at Elora: 301.7
• Wentworth County (average BCA of 221.3); Summitholm Holsteins, owned by Joe Loewith & Sons at Lynden: 296.7