BLOOMFIELD — Philip Prinzen says he has no idea why he routinely finishes near the top of the CanWest DHI BCA (breed class average) listings, but suspects it may have something to do with feeding his cows nothing but hay.
“We’ve always done it and it worked,” said Prinzen. “It’s more natural.”
Prinzhaven Farms, owned by Prinzen and his wife, Selena, of Bloomfield in Prince Edward County had the top 2014 BCA average for Jerseys with 313, and was fourth for Holsteins with 313.7. BCA measures milk, fat and protein. The farm also came fourth for Holsteins and first for Jerseys in 2013.
Lillies Dale Holsteins, owned by Leo Baumann of Lyn, had the highest provincial average BCA with 320. Eight of the top 10 BCA averages for Holsteins were in Eastern Ontario, with Prescott County nabbing four of those spots.
Here are the top-ranked dairy farms for highest BCA average in Eastern and East-Central Ontario, according to the 2014 CanWest DHI progress report.
• Carleton County (average BCA of 223.5); Alexerin Dairy Inc., owned by Ron and Todd Nixon of Manotick: 286.7
• City of Kawartha Lakes (average BCA of 215); Vale-O-Skene, owned by Bill Troup of Little Britain: 240.7
• Dundas County (average BCA of 210.4); Signature Holsteins, owned by Michael Farlinger of Morrisburg: 271.7
• Durham County (average BCA of 200.6); Ruti Farms, owned by Werner and Nicolas Renggli of Seagrave: 285.7
• Frontenac County (average BCA of 200); Rustowil Farm, owned by William Moreland of Joyceville: 254.7
• Glengarry County (average BCA of 211.6); Kerrydale Farms Ltd., owned by Kerry McDonald of Williamstown: 262
• Grenville County (average BCA of 208.9); Gerann Holsteins, owned by John & Dawn Wynands of Cardinal: 256
• Hastings County (average BCA of 219.7); Hollylane Jerseys, owned by Roger Ray and Diane Jarrell-Ray of Corbyville: 288
• Lanark County (average BCA of 203.1); Sunol Farms, owned by Jason and Amanda O’Connell of Carleton Place: 266.7
• Leeds County (average BCA of 210); Lillies Dale Holsteins, owned by Leo Baumann of Lyn: 320
• Lennox and Addington (average BCA of 212); MacLaughlin Farm/Sunborn in Tamworth: 271.3
• Northumberland County (average BCA of 212); Sunnybrooke, owned by Ronald Watson of Campbellford: 292.3
• Peterborough County (average BCA of 202.8); Embrdale Farm of Norwood: 252
• Prescott County (average BCA of 224.3); Ontario Inc 1024248, owned by Andy Senn of St. Bernardin: 315.7
• Prince Edward County (average BCA of 231.9); Prinzhaven Farms, owned by Philip & Selena Prinzen of Bloomfield: 316.3
• Renfrew County (average BCA of 207.7); Gouldhaven Farms, owned by Barry Gould at Foresters Falls: 263.3
• Russell County (average BCA of 235.2); Brabantdale Farms Ltd., owned by Chris & John Nooyen of Navan: 318
• Stormont County (average BCA of 211.1); Ferme Sabourin Inc., owned by Gilles and Johanne Sabourin of Crysler: 253