Jan. 15, 2022
• Full COVID-19 vaccination requirement introduced for truckers crossing U.S.-Canada border.
• GoFundMe fundraiser named “Freedom Convoy 2022” started by Tamara Lich and B. J. Dichter.
Jan. 22, 2022
• First convoy leaves B.C.
Jan. 27, 2022
• Trudeau calls Freedom Convoy a “small fringe minority” who do not “represent the views of Canadians”.
• GoFundMe gives $1 million from “Freedom Convoy 2022” fundraiser to truckers.
• Ontario’s top doctor and chief medical officer of health Dr. Kieran Moore says it’s time to “learn to live with COVID-19”.
• Elon Musk tweets “Canadian truckers rule”.
Jan. 28, 2022
• Freedom Convoy begin arriving in Ottawa.418 vehicles stayed for three weeks
• Nova Scotia bans gatherings along Trans-Canada Hwy at New Brunswick border as convoy passes.
Jan. 29, 2022
• Main Freedom Convoy rally in downtown Ottawa. OPP estimates between 5,000 and 18,000 people. Other estimates say there were more than 30,000 people.
• Conservative MPs Candice Bergen, Andrew Scheer, Pierre Poilievre, Leslyn Lewis, Martin Shields, Warren Steinley, Jeremy Patzer, and Garnett Genuis voice support.
Jan. 31, 2022
• A Freedom Convoy starts in Australia, inspired by the Canadian Freedom Convoy.
Feb. 1, 2022
• Quebec Premier Francois Legault scraps tax on unvaccinated.
Feb. 2, 2022
• Freedom Convoy organizers announce they’ll stay in Ottawa as long as it takes to end all COVID-19 mandates.
• John Hopkins University meta-analysis study that claims worldwide pandemic lockdowns only reduced COVID-19 deaths by 0.2 per cent.
• Erin O’Toole removed as Conservative party leader after a 73-45 MP vote.
Feb. 4, 2022
• Former U.S. President Donald Trump announces his support of the Freedom Convoy.
• GoFundMe removes “Freedom Convoy 2022” fundraiser page after over $10 million raised, claiming it violates their terms of service.
Feb. 5, 2022
• Some U.S. Republicans announce they will investigate GoFundMe’s decision to take down the “Freedom Convoy 2022” fundraiser page.
• Freedom Convoy solidarity protests start in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, Quebec City, New Brunswick, Halifax and in cities around the world.
Feb. 6, 2022
• Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson declares state of emergency; criticizes bouncy castles, hot tubs and barbeques downtown.
• Ottawa police confiscate over 3,200 L of fuel from protestors, according to CTV News. Protestors sneak in fuel; use empty cans as decoys.
Feb. 7, 2022
• Mayor Jim Watson requests additional 1,800 police, calling the protest an “occupation” and a “siege”.
• 10-day injunction granted to end truck honking
• Blockade forms at the Ambassador Bridge connecting Windsor to Detroit. Two tunnels remain open.
Feb. 8, 2022
• Premiers of Saskatchewan, Alberta, Quebec, and P.E.I. announce gradual lifting of COVID-19 restrictions.
• Tow trucks on contract with City of Ottawa refuse requests to haul vehicles out of protest area, according to city manager.
Feb. 9, 2022
• Alberta’s proof-of-vaccination program ends
• Ottawa Police Service announces protestors blocking streets downtown may be arrested and have their vehicles seized but police don’t act.
Feb. 10, 2022
• Interim Conservative leader Candice Bergen calls on blockades to end, presents motion that will force a vote calling the federal government to present a plan to lift all federal restrictions by end of February.
• Ontario government says it obtained order from Superior Court of Justice to freeze access to money donated to the GiveSendGo fundraiser.
• GiveSendGo tweets “Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds”.
• Biden administration calls on Canada to end border blockades.
Feb. 11, 2022
• Manitoba announces proof-of-vaccination program and mask mandate to end by Mar. 15.
Feb. 12, 2022
• Police remove Ambassador Bridge protestors by force.
Feb. 13, 2022
• Ambassador bridge reopened. 42 arrests, 37 vehicles seized.
Feb. 14, 2022
• Trudeau invokes the Emergencies Act.
• Ontario announces proof-of-vaccination ends on Mar. 1.
• Alberta’s student mask mandate ends.
• $9.3 million GiveSendGo fundraiser is hacked, thousands of donors identified, 55 per cent of which are residing in the U.S.
Feb. 15, 2022
• Federal government announces fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada will only need an antigen test result, not a PCR test result anymore.
• Ottawa police chief Peter Sloly resigns.
• Coutts border blockade ends.
Feb. 16, 2022
• Police give out paper notices to protestors warning they may be arrested if they refuse to leave.
Feb. 17, 2022
• Ottawa Police start arresting protestors.
• Organizers Tamara Lich and Chris Barber are arrested on charges of mischief and counselling to commit mischief. Barber was released the next day.
• Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says some protestors’ bank accounts have been frozen.
• Canadian Civil Liberties Association says the Emergencies Act “seriously infringes on the Charter of rights.
Feb. 18, 2022
• Ottawa Police set up about 100 checkpoints around downtown, say anyone within the ‘red zone’ may be subject to arrest but do not act.
Feb. 19, 2022
• Ottawa Police clear Wellington Street, make 170 arrests and tow 53 vehicles out of the ‘red zone’. Police officer hit one man repeatedly with the end of a rifle. Other protestors dragged from crowd, contained and later released. Police also use tear gas.
Feb. 20, 2022
• Police secure downtown Ottawa, Parliament area is cleared of protestors and blocked off with fences and concrete barricades. Police smash truck windows and drag out occupants. Convoy group leader David Paisley said he was arrested at gun point.
• Ottawa Police report 191 arrests, 107 of which have been charged, a total of 389 charges laid, and 76 vehicles towed.
Feb. 21, 2022
• MPs vote 185 to 151 to approve the extension under the Emergencies Act .
Feb. 23, 2022
• Trudeau lifts Emergencies Act before Senate vote.