It took only six minutes in the ring for a 14-month-old Angus bull to sell for a world record US $1.51- million at a Feb. 9 public auction in North Dakota. The previous highest-selling bull sold for $800,000 last year.
Herbster Angus Farms in Nebraska purchased 80 per cent of SAV America 8018, thereby giving the bull a US $1.89-million evaluation. The farm is owned by Charles W. Herbster, the chairman of Agriculture and Rural Advisory Committee to U.S. President Donald Trump. Herbster told reporters that he had made up his mind to buy the bull, no matter the cost, three days before the sale.
Herbster will keep 80 per cent semen rights, while Schaff Angus Valley in North Dakota, the original owner of the bull, will keep the remaining 20 per cent. The bull will stay at the Schaff farm.
Herbster’s website says the bull will be used as part of the farm’s breeding program, but the farm will be selling a limited amount of semen. Interested parties can be put on a list for further information once the semen becomes available.
The bull is a grandson of NBar Emulation EXT, which many say was the greatest Angus bull of the last 25 years.