BFO Applaud Province’s ‘Grow Ontario’ Strategy Launch
November 28, 2022 (Guelph, Ont.) – The Beef Farmers of Ontario (BFO) welcome the release of the Grow Ontario: a provincial agri-food strategy that was announced at the Ontario Food Terminal earlier today by the Honourable Lisa Thompson, Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
Today’s announcement outlines the plan to strengthen Ontario’s agri-food sector, fuel economic growth, and ensure an efficient, reliable and responsive food supply, while addressing ongoing vulnerabilities through research and innovation. The three pillars of the strategy, which include supply chain stability,
innovation and technology, and human resources (talent) will serve as foundational pillars that will drive and inform ministry policies and programs for the next four years.
“The ambitious plan laid out in Ontario’s Grow Ontario agri-food strategy represents a critical commitment by the province to ensure a strong, reliable and responsive food supply,” says BFO President, Jack Chaffe. “BFO applauds Minister Thompson for her vision and leadership to help ensure Ontario’s agrifood sector is armed to address the food production challenges of the future, and is supported through targeted investments to drive growth in our productive capacity.”
BFO is particularly supportive of some of the strategic actions noted in the release, including:
• Invest through the Food Security and Supply Chain Fund in actions that help address high input costs for farmers and processors.
• Support for organizations and communities undertaking food supply initiatives to increase Ontario-grown food for Ontarians.
• Build on the success of the Strategic Agri-Food Processing Fund
• Expand public and private investment in food processing.
• Partner with commodity groups to strengthen their supply chains.
• Partner with Ontario public service ministries to expand/target economic and social infrastructure in rural Ontario.
• Increase Ontario’s veterinary capacity, and incent recent large animal veterinarian graduates to areas of highest need.
Overall, the strategy includes a number of goals backed by commitments to increase investments, partnerships, and focus in strategic areas that will position the agri-food sector for stability and growth in the future.
BFO would like to thank Minister Thompson for her steadfast commitment to the Ontario agri-food sector, and offer our sincere congratulations on the development and launch of the Grow Ontario strategy.